If you are one of the many people who doesn’t have an unlimited decorating budget, sometimes a few unique items can really enhance your home. During my ongoing home restoration project, there were times I needed to take a long break from the big ticket items, and enjoy a few simple strategic additions.
If you’re selling your home, a few of these ideas can brighten up your house and create a great ambiance for buyers. And if you’re entertaining for the holidays, you’ll really enjoy these unique ideas.
10 Top Perk-Ups for under $10:
1. Outlet covers. Amazon.com has hundreds of creative choices; Lowes has a good selection too for about 50 cents more each, so then if you don’t have Amazon Prime, you can avoid shipping charges. If you’ve got an older home like I do, you’ll like this website:
old light switch cover plates The rocker styles are much larger now, so for older homes you’ll need to find something that actually fits.
3. A colorful doormat. I purchased this one at Ross Dress for Less for $6.99. Grocery Outlet has some good ones too.
4. A cool trash can. Also a find at Ross for $6.99. Simple but bright and cheery. They had quite a selection of bright contemporary plastics and rich hammered tins…and don’t forget to look at baskets, too.
5. A mug, just for you. Or a matching set for both of you. You can find these just about anywhere, and if you’re a devoted tea or coffee drinker you’ll get lots of use out of these every day.
6. A set of colorful dish towels or potholders, or bathroom guest towels. Target has plenty of these.
7. A beautiful plant. Trader Joe’s has exotic plants like fuchsias and lilies for under $10, although I’d recommend reading up on fuchsia care, as they are rather delicate. Or you could shop at Home Depot where they have a yearlong return policy. Yes, you can bring dead plants back! Also, join the Home Depot Garden Club and get some really nice discounts. Both Lowes and Home Depot have older pants which are 50% off but usually resuscitate nicely.
8.Paint! You can find some really nice colors in the leftovers bin at any hardware/home improvement store, for about $5 a can. You can paint trim, you can paint a border design …there are plenty of possibilities. Also…Spray paint! About $5 or less per can, there are a lot of things you can liven up…and make last a little longer. Everything from white plastic garden chairs to garden pots and planters. Mix the colors and create an interesting design. Lowe’s and Home Depot always have holiday paint sales.
9. Pebbles. I bought 2 packages at Michaels and am going to use them as trim around my fireplace, and cover up the old boring brick. They have great coupons, especially on holiday weekends, including sale items too.
10. Fragrant soaps, scents or lotions in pretty containers… Bath and Body Works has a very tempting selection of these, and candles, too.
Sign up online and get frequent coupons, even for free items.
If you go to retailmenot.com you can usually find discount coupons for many of these stores.
And don’t forget Black Friday! You can use apps or sign up online for deal alerts. Slick Deals is a favorite of mine.
Enjoy your budget friendly decorating!
© 2018 Barb Fischer San Diego La Mesa